Saturday, September 20, 2014

Plein Air Oil Sketch: Saturday Farmers' Market (Oil, 12 x 16)

I hesitated this morning whether I should go to the Farmers' Market at Fort Myers' Alliance of the Arts parking lot because it was cloudy and would have showers. Originally, I planned to paint the tents shining in the sun. Finally, I decided to go as planned. I went there pretty early. Right at the corner of the building, I saw a couple had already set up two tents, one white and the other orange red in color, with their two children. I like the orange tent with everything tinted in orange under it. So I decided to paint the view. The guy was very friendly. As soon as I got out of my car, he greeted me. He and his wife smiled when they heard I was going to paint their tents. I looked at the sky and told myself that I had to hurry. So immediately I set up next to my car and began to work. It was sprinkling softly most of the time. I had my umbrella open over the easel so it didn't cause a problem. When the shower came down, I had to stop and hop into my car. Fortunately, the shower didn't last very long and I got out of my car to go on with my painting. As you may tell, I rushed it through. It took only an hour and a half.

During the painting, the couple and their children came to see me paint several times. I really appreciated their compliments. Towards the end when I was packing, Scott and Sherry (that were the couple's names) came to see the painting again. Scott asked me if I was willing to sell it or trade my painting for his fish. I thanked him and told them that I allowed them to go to my blog to make a copy of it if they liked it. With those words, I gave them my card. I uploaded my paintings in high pixels, so its copy should be in good quality. To my surprise, before I was leaving, the couple asked their pretty daughter Magen to bring me a good chunk of snapper.



When I was setting up there in the morning, I happened to see my artist friend Carol Boatman who used to paint with me at SW Florida Portrait/Figure Painting group. It had been three years since we painted together last time. She came to the Alliance of the Arts today to teach a class.

No comments:

Post a Comment