Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Oil Sketches: Tractor Garage and Bath Assisting

I went straight to Tuckhoe Road this morning. However, half way on the road, I realized that my car was spic clean after I washed away all the mud I there the other day. When I saw the wet potholes on the road, I began to hesitate. At that time, I saw some fierce-looking dogs coming my way, which helped me make my decision more easily. Since I was bitten by a dog in New York, I've become more cautious about dogs. So I made a U-turn and went to the River Haven Farm. I drove around the farm and finally decided to paint the tractor garage in the shade. The tractor was parked halfway inside the garage. Maybe there was some other machinery in there. At least the motor of the tractor got covered under roof. The plows were still hooked behind the tractor. To avoid getting them rusted with rain, a tarpaulin was thrown over them. Even though I was in the shade, too, in order to stay sharp about the value relationships and avoid letting my eyes adjust to the shade and beginning to see more light than I actually should, I walked back to stand in the sunlit road constantly to look at the scene so that I could preserve the identical impression.

When the painting was almost finished, I noticed that Rebecca washing horses at the designated horse-bathing place behind the garage. She and the horse formed a beautiful picture. I said it was a shame I didn't know she was working on the horses till the job was almost over. Rebecca said there was another horse to be washed in the afternoon. I said if so, I would come back and  paint it. Therefore, I went to the Convenient Store across Palm Beach Road. I gobbled down a sandwich and went back to the farm. Rebecca gave me a hour so that I could finish the oil sketch. I guess the horse enjoyed the thorough bath assistance.




 Tractor Garage
Oil, 12 x 16

Bath Assisting
Oil, 11 x 14

2 comments: