Monday, September 15, 2014

Oil Draft: Steve's Boat (11 x 14)

My architect friend Steve asked me to paint his boat which was docked at the River Haven Farm on the Caloosahatchee River. Since there were thick vegetation blocking the view from the dry land, Steve let me have a floating dock which I could row out on the river and paint the boat from the other side. It was fun! I set up on the dock, even with an open umbrella. It was a good thing there was only a mild breeze.

Even though Steve gave me an anchor, I tied it to the wrong side and the dock swayed slowly. Before I realized, it swayed me out of sight of the boat. Therefore, I had to retie the anchor. Next time, Steve said, he was going to give me two anchors. I made a quick sketch as a draft. As I was painting, Steve took a picture of me on my Noah's ark.



5 comments:

  1. Only you!....How fun that must have been! I cleaned Mothers large side porch today in prep for the Oct 8th Plein Air group from FMBAA that will attend. I hope you will come. 8:30 or 9am to paint at Jamaica Bay. Bring a sandwich and we will serve ice tea and a salad at noon at her home. RSVP to Penny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Penny, for the invitation. I'll come if there is no conflict in my schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful story. And a great idea. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Cathy. Simply an experience of some kind.

    ReplyDelete