Saturday, February 2, 2013

Oil Sketch: Cattle Shack on Highway 78


The farm was on SR 78. One mile or so further down the winding country road was the Owl Creek Boat Works. When I got there, I saw a large number of cows including some calves on the grass. The whole scene looked very bucolic. However, when I got out of my car, the cows just slowly moved away from mo till they totally disappeared into the farthest end of the farm. Maybe because I banged my car door when I came out or these peaceful animals were simply  too obsessed with their privacy that they were offended by intruders. Anyway, I felt pretty hurt and had to paint the farm without a single cow.

It was painted on a 9 x 12 panel. Altogether it took about 2 and a half hours. Well, I tried to paint out of the effect. That is, I wanted to paint it the way it looked at 9 AM of the day. Because, before long, the roof of the shack was in the sun. there were evident changes in lighting. I think iIcould have painted a little faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment