Monday, February 4, 2013

Acrylic Painting Homework: Buggy Ride in Snow (Central Park, NYC)


The painting was an assignment for my painting class. The requirement for the homework was, according to the syllabus, an 18'' x 24'' full color in Impressionist manner with layouts/visual ideas for major projects. I was late for class and had missed three weeks. The instructor was very nice. As an elderly student not working on any degree programs, I was permitted to attend the class as an auditor. However, in the past three weeks, all the students in class had already accumulated a sizable morgue for assignments except me. Fortunately, I took quite a few pictures when I was in New York. Besides, I was lucky enough to catch the only snowfall in New York during my stay there.

I believe the time was between Christmas and New Year's Day. My wife and I planned to go to MET to see the George Bellows' Exhibition. We both had our cameras with us, thinking we could take some pictures of his paintings (It turned out that picture-taking was not allowed for the show because some pictures were privately owned). On our way there, it began to snow heavily. The Central Park looked very beautiful so we changed our mind, believing that we could find another time to see George Bellows but not the snow-covered Central Park. We both eventually took quite a few good pictures. Therefore, today, I simply picked the one I thought would fit the requirement. As an artist, I had been strongly influenced by both French Impressionists and modern American Impressionists such as Carolyn Anderson and Quang Ho. As I was painting, I tried to remember their teachings. Carolyn Anderson did some in-depth research on how our brain interprets visual information our eyes have received and how important the handling of edges is. The picture is the largest landscaping picture I have ever made: 18'' x 24'' in acrylic. Hope you like my "Impressionist" painting.

1 comment: