Thursday, March 7, 2013

Today's Portrait and Plein-Air Painting

Nicole
Oil on paper, 16 x 20

Hickey's Creek Mitigation Park, Alva, FL
Oil on panel, 9 x 12

This morning I went to Punta Gorda's VAC portrait studio. The model's name is Nicole.  Someone there asked to readjust the lighting. Since I hadn't started, so I agreed. However, as soon as I began to paint, I realized it was a little rigid and my perspective was also kind of rigid. As a study, I played with black color which usually I didn't include in my palette believing it killed colors. Well, it is not my best, as you can tell. The colors are not as clean as I wish. 

Whenever I am not satisfied with myself, I always need to do something as a comfort. On my way back home, I passed by Hickey's Creek Mitigation Park on Highway 80 (Palm Beach Blvd.). I had never been there and decided to go there and make a landscape to make myself feel better.  I always remembered it as "Hickory Creek Irrigation Park". Today I finally got its name straight. Well, there is not much in it as a park, just a mile-long gravel road leading to a fishing pier and a canoe ramp. That's it. The plein-air comforted me a little bit. Hope you like it, too.

1 comment: