Thursday, March 28, 2013

Alla Prima: Photographer Nancy


I went to Punta Gorda Portrait Studio this morning. This was the last session in which we could have two models before the fall. As the snow birds are leaving, the number of  studio participants is dwindling. I got there before the two models arrived, so I simply set up at one of the sites, not knowing who would sit in front of me. Of course, it turned out that Nancy sat for my group. She was a skinny lady with sharp facial features and deep-set eyes. I tried to express the subtlety of lighting but  wasn't very satisfied with myself. Anyway, it was a study.

2 comments:

  1. Can you recommend good brushes for a small oil 8 x 10 on location work? I was at Matlacha Monday painting and went thru 4 brushes with issues for working that small. Also Ya Thursday I had the other model who was good to paint but we had a lot of distractions and I didn't get as far as you did. Plus I was late. I also do not like to work from photos, they seem to be missing that atmosphere of the person or place...phot flattens darks is for sure an issue...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Cathy:

    Sorry, Cathy, I didn't respond till now. I have read your message just now. Better later than never. Before answering your question, I need to be honest with you. I use the cheapest brushes, some i even bought from Walmart. However, for a size 8 x 10 picture, you don't have to use long stem brushes. Of course, you need smaller brushes. The important thing is the brush hair. Wehn I begin a painting I use hard bristle brushes. As I process the painting, the hair of burshes I chose get softer, mostly mylon. Also you need to choose the right types for different stages. For instance, at the begining, I often use bright or mop types, later for different details, I choose flat, angle, rigger,and filbert. To blur the border, I often use fan brushes. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete