Monday, October 15, 2012

Needlework (Soft Pastel)



This is actually an assignment required by the drawing class: a full-toned soft-pastel figure on tinted paper. I didn't use soft pastel very often. I had a prejudice against pastels no matter it is soft or oil because I felt I was unable to mix colors with pastel and I believed that the patel colors were always raw in picture. This time I found myself really liked it. It is challenging, for sure, and often difficult to get the exact color you see in reality. However, I have realized now that there is plenty room for your creativity. There are alot of opportunities for you to take risks. I used to stay away from black color in my painting for fear of killing other colors. This time I realized black could be used to increase color value if you add a layer of other color on top and it could still blend in the whole-picture tone. I enjoyed exploring the uncharted sea. Hope you like the picture.


3 comments: