Saturday, October 13, 2012

Landscape: Owl Creek Boat Works, Alva, FL



Yesterday afternoon when I was thinking where I should go to paint this weekend, I got a call from my friend Mark, a boat worker who used to work at Sweetwater Landing. The reason he called was because he wanted to let me know that he had moved to another work place and changed his phone number. I immediately asked about the new place, Owl Creek Works, and decided to paint it today.

Owl Creek Road is a small winding trail off Highway 78. If there is another vehicle coming  in the opposite direction, at least one of the vehicles has to get on the grass to make room for the other one. However, at the end of the road, the boat yard is really big. As soon as I arrived, I knew right away what I was going to paint. As you can tell from the picture, the view is so full of rhythm.  Line and shape provide a rich variety: straight lines, curves, geometric shapes and biomorphic shapes --all in one scene.

It was a bright sunshiny day but kind of windy. Fortunately I stood next to a huge canvas boat work tent which gave me shade from the sun as well as blocked the wind. Hope you like the picture.


1 comment:

  1. My experience was that of a scam and rip off. I took my 80 foot Broward to have Interlux paint put on the bottom (what was contracted for). Owl Creek switched paint without my knowledge and applied Boero. This was less than a year ago, the paint failed. The paint had slime on it two weeks after being done. They blew me off (as did Boero Paint). Now 8 months later I have hard growth (my diver says it looks like an artificial reef on the bottom). We have had to retain legal counsel to sue them. They used Boero paint because it was given to them to use our aluminum boat as an experiment, well their experiment failed now they are fighting us.

    ReplyDelete