Thursday, June 2, 2016

En Plein Air: Street Corner in Early Morning (Oil, 9 x 12)



I went there pretty early, around 7:30 AM this morning. It was a street corner on a forkroad where Queens Blvd. and Kew Gardens Rd parted their ways. There was a two-story building on the corner, possibly in a triangle shape, viewed in bird's eyes even though the tip part was curved, unlike a slice of cake with  a sharp angle. A traffic island half shaded from the sun lied in the middle of Queens Blvd and divided the traffic in different directions.

I set up on the north side of Queens Blvd by the railing of the Kew Gardens Subway Station. There was little traffic on the road when I started, but after painting there for around two hours, traffic got heavier. By then I got a taste of New York drivers' impatience and lack of etiquette. When the vehicles began to slow down while everybody was trying to merge into Grand Central Parkway, many of them would honk with such a vengeance that the deafening noise could go on for as long as 15 seconds. It really got on my nerves. If I had had a dozen of eggs with me, I would have thrown them all at those drivers. On my second thought, maybe most of them are not Americans. Anyway, half of New Yorkers were foreign-born. it was not very American.


1 comment: