Saturday, June 4, 2016

En Plein Air: Church in the Gardens (Oil, 12 x 9)


This is not the first time I painted the church. Remember the most recent one was on the first day of winter before last Christmas when all the trees on the street were stripped of all leaves. I painted from the opposite side of it. Now the green foliage has flourished so well that the church tower was almost totally shrouded in its canopy. What was left of the church to been seen from my angle was the porch.

It was a very special church. I believe it was a non-denomination congregational church. Judging by the languages used in bulletin board, a large number of the church goers must be Koreans, I guess. To me its a landmark in Forest Hills Garden.

Although my blog is basically about my visual art activities, nothing to do with politics, I have to make it an exception today because it is June 4, 2016, the 27th anniversary of Tiananmen Square Massacre, one of the darkest days in China's history. The totalitarian Chinese government killed, 27 years ago, hundreds of peaceful protesters, many of whom were young students. The authorities are now trying every way to bury this atrocity in oblivion and don't want it to be remembered in any ways. The date is marked all over the world except in China. I wish all the criminals, big and small, who have been involved in persecutions or massacres of the innocent in China be brought to justice one day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment