Sunday, June 12, 2016

En Plein Air: Austin St. Annual Fair (Oil, 9 x 12)




It was the Annual Austin St. Fair today, quite an event for the local business area. As usual, there were a great number of vendors' tents. Vehicles were not allowed between 69th Rd. and 72nd Rd. Food, plants, jewels, music entertainment, etc. there was everything, you name it. I went there this afternoon and set up on the street corner by the wire fence of the Our Queen Lady of Martyrs Catholic Church, which I believe was the east end of the Fair with two wooden horses to block the traffic. It was pretty warm today, but I had to stay in the sun. Fortunately I had on my wide-brim hat. Since everybody was moving around, I had to rush through the process. I really didn't have time to think about how to choose or mix colors. My brush moved instinctively. Figures were added pretty much in an impromptu manner. Altogether, the oil sketch took an hour and a half, including the time I had to deal with a vendor who suddenly left his van right in front of me to block my vision. Finally, a cop came to make him move. Intermittently, there came gusts of strong wind which almost blew my easel off the ground, to say nothing of my shopping cart and small things which I had to chase to get back. Overall, I felt it was worthy of the troubles.

2 comments: