Wednesday, June 1, 2016

En Plein Air: Facade of an Old House on Audley St. (Oil, 12 x 9)



It was the first time I noticed the house this morning when I turned right into Audley from Grenfell St. I have never seen anything in architectural style similar to this one. A few residents of the street who passed by told me the house was almost a century old. It was built in 1920s. Later, after I set up and started painting, I met the house owner, or, I'd rather say, one of the house owners. Because it was actually two houses in one. She told me that when the two houses were being built, their original owners agreed to have a facade built in-between to connect the two houses. This clever idea added a unique aesthetic value to their property. She also told me that she had seen pedestrians who passed by the building stop and take picture of it. I really admired the architect's creativity to design such a facade which reminded me of the entrance of London Tower.

No comments:

Post a Comment