Monday, June 20, 2016

En Plein Air: AirTrain to JFK (Oil, 12 x 9)


I did some chores in the morning so right after lunch, I pulled my kit and walked toward Queens Blvd. Like many other times, I didn't know where to go and what to paint. By the time I came to Caffe Bene and saw its open-air deck, I remembered that was the place where, some time ago, David, Ariel and I sat and sketched the people standing in front of us waiting for Bus Q60. Impulsively, I got a crazy idea. I told myself, why not simply hop on the bus and let it take me to wherever it would, just for a change? 

The bus was headed for Jamaica Center. I knew it was not an affluent area. So what? I am not a royal family court artist. I'd like to mingle with down-to-earth people and depict their life. I sat on the bus with eyes searching out of the window for interesting things to paint so that I had sufficient time to get off the bus. When the bus turned right onto Sutphin Ave. from Jamaica Blvd., the street got really busy with lots of people on the sidewalk. I hopped off the bus and it happened to be the AirTrain Station to JFK.  I set up on a street corner of the station. During the process of painting, I had to move and make room for the window cleaner to wash the glass wall. In spite of the crowd, overall, it went smoothly.

No comments:

Post a Comment