Friday, October 3, 2014

Plein Air Oil Sketch: Roadside Eatery (oil, 11 x 14)

On Highway 80 (Palm Beach Blvd), across from Broadway Road, Alva, there was a roadside eatery named Alva Country Diner with its eye-catching sign of a huge coffee mug. It was a popular place with the locals. I had long wanted to paint it. This morning, I made a U-turn on Highway 80 and pulled over on the same side of the road shoulder. I positioned myself facing the rising sun, so I was painting into the effect as the sun rose higher as I anticipated. At first, I tried to find a place from which I was able to see the roof ridge of the restaurant as well as its signature coffee-mug sign. However, there was no way I could see the roof ridge because I would have had to position myself either in the highway traffic or in the ditch. Therefore, I had to make do with the view of the roof top being blocked by the coffee mug.


No comments:

Post a Comment