Friday, October 17, 2014

En Plein Air: Florida Beach Sun Bather (oil 9 x 14)

Yesterday, instead of going to Punta Gorda Portrait Studio, I went to Fort Myers Beach Art Association. It was FMBAA's Pot Luck Dinner Day. In the past two months, I seldom went there or was involved in the organization's activities since I have been painting everyday subjects near home. Before this reversed snowbird was going to fly north, I felt I should go and get involved somehow in its activities, so I went. The event didn't begin till 5:30 PM, but I arrived there at 1 PM. Having parked my car, I took the kit out of the trunk and pulled it across the street to the beach.

It is true there are more people in the afternoon than in the morning. I saw a typical scene: a lady lying on a folded reclining chair with a wheeled shopping bag by her side. She shaded her eyes with a white cap. I quickly set up and began to paint. Whenever I paint figures plein air, I don't follow my usual process as I do landscapes. My priority goes to whichever is prone to move or change. I rushed myself all the time. By the time the lady got up to dip herself in the sea water I was done and it took about an hour. When I got back to FMBAA, Milly, the dinner organizer, was already there doing preparation. I was glad I still had time and was able to help her arrange the chairs, which made me feel good as a member.


No comments:

Post a Comment