Sunday, October 19, 2014

Beach Oil Sketches : Valentina and Others

The weather was too good to stay home. Even though I had not fully recovered from the cold, I decided to go to Fort Myers Beach this afternoon to paint figures on beach. I took a 12 x 16 canvas and two Gessoed panels, anticipating sudden changes on beach.

I first chose a couple as my subject. The guy was lying in the shade of the umbrella, napping. The girl was reading a book and sun bathing. I thought they should be able to stay long enough for me to finish my painting. Unfortunately, by the time I barely completed blocking in color masses, they got up and packing stuff to go. Therefore, I had to switch to a girl, who came with her family. It seemed the rest of the family must have gone to dip in water because only the girl was left napping in the sun. Half way in painting, she woke up. I pleaded she go back to lie down a little longer. She was very nice and did ti accordingly till her parents and other children came back. The girl was pretty and her name was Valentina, according to her parents. So they were ready to go.

Then I noticed a guy was dozing off in his chair under his umbrella. I started the third one. I had to call it a day when he woke up.





No comments:

Post a Comment