Monday, May 19, 2014

En Plein Air: Roaming Around His World (Oil, 9 x 12)

As I told you, I was unable to complete on the spot last Saturday the painting of airport reconstruction and had to take home and finish it in studio. During and after I finished the painting, I had an uncomfortable bad feeling. I liked the first half I did at the airport. Even though it was only a little toned, I felt good about it. When I tried to finish it at home, I felt as if I was not painting but doing some kind of tedious labor. I lost the inspiration I had felt out there in the sun. It seemed for the first time I truly understood why Joaquin Sorolla Y Bastida almost moved his studio outdoors to the beach. That is why I felt lost when I completed the painting. I felt I needed to do something to regain my sensation out there in the open. Yesterday afternoon I went to my friend Woody's dock to fish while he was fixing a sailing boat. I mentioned that I'd like to paint him working on the boat. He told me to come back Tuesday afternoon when He would be working on the boat in sun. I was happy to hear that and planned to go there tomorrow (Tuesday). For this afternoon, I tried to prepared myself so I went to my other friends Dennis and Rocky's farm. Finally, I decided to paint their pony with only two things in my mind. That is, I want an accurate form and authentic sensation of the sunshine.


No comments:

Post a Comment