Wednesday, May 14, 2014

En Plein Air: Back Home at Leisure (Oil, 7 x 11)

Two days ago when I was painting Entrance to a Kingdom on Styles Road, I noticed way back there was a pond with a boat docked there. From the distance, it seemed to be the kind of twin-hulled party barge next to something I would not call a dock. It looked like half a bridge. I believe it was built there for agricultural purpose. Judging by the PVC pipes attached to it, my guess is that they could be connected to a water pump during the dry season. However, when these two things were together, I felt there was an aesthetic attraction in their combination like a ballroom dance couple.

This morning I drove directly into the kingdom and knocked on the door of the palace. the king's name was Paul. He recognized me and said he remembered me painting across the street two days before. I said it must be he that drove an 18-wheeler in there with a full load of hay. He nodded yes with a smile. I asked his permission to get inside the fence to paint my picture. At first he was a little hesitant saying that would be a liability with the cattle in there.I assured him that I painted in cattle farm before wth cows around me and would not get him in trouble. Finally, Paul agreed but cautioned me about the black bull. I set up under a big oak. Of course, on my way in and out, I had to watch my steps and avoid stepping on cow cakes.



1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Diane. The bull didn't come to bother me at all. Only a young cow was a little nosy and came to sniff for a while and left.

    ReplyDelete