Saturday, May 10, 2014

En Plein Air: Old Oak (Oil 10 x 16.5)


This is an old old oak on the McIntoshes' farm. As far as I remembered, I had painted oak trees twice before. I was satisfied with neither of them. I believe the problem was I didn't really pay attention to the form of oak trees, taking it for granted that I knew how to paint tree branches. In fact tree branches twist following their specific logical way. Therefore, this morning I took special care for its form. I studied and drafted carefully the tree branches. 

In the middle of painting, I saw a cowboy on horseback waving to me in a distance, so I waved back. Then he rode across the pasture coming towards me. As he was riding nearer, he said to me, "I thought it was Dennis." I smiled and responded, "I am Dennis's friend." The cowboy's name was Michael. he was the McIntosh family's neighbor. He asked if he could come to see my painting and, when I said yes, he circled around me on horseback. He praised me for the painting and then went on with his pleasure ride.

1 comment: