Monday, October 21, 2013

The Process of Painting a Small Yacht at Woody's Boatyard


 
 
 
 
 
The above is a process of today's en plein air painting A Small Yacht Docked at Woody's Boatyard. I kept track of these steps of my in order to help myself reflect on it later on. It is an acrylic 10 x 16. As a matter of fact, it took me a lot of time painting the boat itself in terms of proportion and shape and, of course, how to simplify its details. It was totally a practice to paint boat again because I was deliberately playing with acrylic paint, trying different way of mixing and thinning the paint to the right level for color transition. I also practiced how to remedy the transition if paint was dry already. I tried to dull color by coating a thin layer of different color. Anyway it is a practice. Otherwise I would not have done this boat.
 


2 comments:

  1. I clicked back and forth to see the changes, that was interesting. I think I like number 3 because of the Spanish moss it creates depth and the shady area of a river bank situation that is appealing in the heat of a Florida day or a summer day anywhere. Often the river banks up my way are mostly mangroves right to the edge with out that carve your way into the space that you have found here. The boat was brighter also. I really like the water surface. It has that deep dark and the bright water lilies and reflections that are what I like about a water scene but hard for me to render as well as you did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Cathy. I am glad you mentioned the third one. It is true to reality that there were Spanish moss there. I did the change in #4 while I came home because for one thing, I didn't feel they reflected well the way I wanted, secondly, I was afraid they may be digressing. The water is not really hard to render. Just be bold enough, you'll be there.

    Mo

    ReplyDelete