Friday, October 18, 2013

En Plein Air: Woody and His Family's Paradise (Acrylic, 12 x 16)

 
This morning I went to Woody's paradise. He and his family have all to themselves an island on the Caloosahatchee River. Evidently they have found an oasis for themselves in today's chaotic world. His two children are taught in home school by their mother. As an educator, I have to sigh for our public school system. Obviously their mother is a good teacher. The two children are very well-mannered. They love music and fine arts. Woody and his wife spend a lot of time with their children. They seem to watch every step their children take before they grow into adulthood. I hope all the children can have as much love and happiness as they do. Their house is quiet and secluded in woods. I painted boats because of my obsession. Likewise, this morning I also painted their house.
 
One of my friends, after seeing my painting and reading the story of Woody's family, sent me the following poem by Yeats. I think it illustrates so well how I feel about life that I'd like to copy it here for sharing:
 

The Lake Isle of InnisfreeBy William Butler Yeats

I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made;
Nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honey-bee,
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.

And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,
Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings;
There midnight’s all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
And evening full of the linnet’s wings.

I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements grey,
I hear it in the deep heart’s core.



2 comments:

  1. I like this and your Jane of Punta Gorda. I painted a small acrylic of fruit on watercolor paper today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Penny. The weather is now perfect for plein air painting. Really enjoy it. I'll see y'all at the Swap Shop on 10/23.

    ReplyDelete