Thursday, October 24, 2013

Alla Prima Portrait: Punta Gorda Artist Harriet (Acrylic on UnGessoed Paper, 19 x 24)


Today at Punta Gorda VAC Portrait Studio, our model was artist Harriet. To me it was an experiment with the paper. I used a 19 x 24 Strathmore Bristol drawing paper without even coating it with Gesso. I read an article which says you can virtually paint acrylic on anything. Therefore, I didn't Gesso it to see what it turned out to be. The result was not so good. The problem with paper not coated in Gesso was the fact that  the paper absorbed water so quickly that I was unable to change or cover the mark of the stroke made when my brush first touched the paper. Now it is clear that you may paint acrylic on anything but it has to be Gessoed or maybe at least a layer of underpainting. I usually made two in one, that is, I mixed Gesso with an acrylic paint, say, pink, with a handful of children's craft sand to increase its texture-expressing capacity.


No comments:

Post a Comment