Thursday, October 17, 2013

Alla Prima Portrait: Jane of Punta Gorda (Acrylic, 20 x 16)


This was the first time I painted Jane at Punta Gorda portrait studio. I appreciated Trudy's effort to verify models' poses. When I got there this morning, Trudy had already prepared an armchair for the model. Since I painted the figure, I knew I was pressed for time. To me, it was always a good thing if I felt the pressure of time because this way my brush would totally follow the feeling and there would be no time for me to think or fuss about unnecessary details. Painting became spontaneous. My best works were almost all completed this way. Of course, I mean studies, that is, practice, not creation. I haven't seriously created anything. I am not ready yet. I look forward to the time that I think I am ready. I make clear distinction between the two.

When I was finished with the painting, Jane came over to look at it. She exclaimed, " Wow, it looks like an Impressionist work." I did handle the color in an analytical sense but didn't associate it, at least not consciously, with Impressionism till she mentioned it. Looking back, I realize it makes sense because I believe Impressionist artists made most of their paintings in a similar situation in terms of time. As I often said, I simply enjoy the process of painting and don't care how it eventually comes out. Never I did  pre-meditate a style for painting. Of course, it doesn't mean that in the process, masters' works or styles have never come to my mind or that some mental associations with their themes or works have never hit me. If they do, they just happen naturally.


No comments:

Post a Comment