Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Figure Study: Oistamo (Oil, 9 x 12)


This afternoon, it didn't feel so hot, so I went to the Forest Park. My purpose was to paint a figure in the shade instead of in the sun. I was deciding which one to paint: a dog walker sitting in a chair, an old man on the bench reading, or a young mother with a child in a crib when the first two were soon leaving. Therefore, I went to the young mother, whose name was Oistamo, recently immigrated from Tajikistan, a former Soviet republic bordering China. Obviously, the baby was asleep. Oistamo was reading on the bench. She agreed to let me paint her. As usual, I told her she could do whatever she needed to and I would capture her image on my canvas.

I felt painting a shaded figure was a tug of war with myself. I kept pushing myself to tone down the overall color scheme, but, in the end, found I was not bold enough to make it the right value. Maybe I should have put a layer of underpainting in the first place. I will try to do so next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment