Saturday, July 30, 2016

En Plein Air: An Old House in Forest Hills Gardens (Oil, 9 x 12)


The house is located at the intersection of Kessel and Whitson, right off Union Turnpike. There was nothing special about it. The reason I painted it this morning was also because the way it looked against the sun the other day when I was biking. I noticed it looked really dark and thought it could be a good subject for practicing control over values. I don't think I achieved the perfect effect of the lighting this morning. Well, a good way of study, though. 

Half way into my painting, a lady named Margaret from a roadside house came out and talked to me. She was very nice and asked me if I would like to have a cup of coffee. Before long, she brought out to me a tray with a nice coffee cup and saucer on it. There was also a small container of milk and two bags of sugar. Wow! I was really impressed by her hospitality to a total stranger. It is always good to feel the kindness, the bright side of human nature. Somehow, I thought of the selfish lady I met on Sunday at the farmers' market again. What a striking contrast!

No comments:

Post a Comment