Saturday, July 9, 2016

En Plein Air: Queensboro Bridge (Oil, 9 x 12)


When I was reading online about New York's "hidden attractions", I was excited to come across the Ruins of  Renwick Smallpox Hospital on Roosevelt Island. The hospital was built in 1856, a big thing at that time, of course. No other epidemics had ever influenced the history of humankind like smallpox. The photos of the hospital presented the ruins like an abandoned castle. It piqued my interest, so I decided to go there this morning. However, to my surprise, when I followed the directions, I ended up coming face to face with a high-rise building construction site with temporary wire fences surrounding the whole place. I was told that the hospital had been mowed down for the construction. I guess the sharks of New York realty market could not let such an extremely valuable piece of land across from Manhattan sit there untouched. Therefore, I set up by the construction site and paint the Queensboro Bridge on Queens' side.

No comments:

Post a Comment