Monday, June 30, 2014

En Plein Air: Morning Sun (Church-in-the-Gardens, Forest Hills, NY. Oil 12 x 9)

I went to the community congregational church again. It was back to the sun in the morning. The sun light had subtle effect on everything, The reflected light complicated the shaded side and even influenced the edges of the building in the sun. It was a total experiment to me. As a matter of fact, it was a tug of war between my rational understanding and my eyes which automatically tried to adapt to the darkness. When I finished painting and got home, I didn't think either of them won. Still fresh from what I learned from Bato Dugarzhapov, I quickly redo the painting in an hour. I learned to mainly use palette knife and was thrilled by the effect I noticed. The second time, since I didn't have the scene in front of my eyes, I tried to modify based on my rational interpretation. I am sure you can tell which one I did on spot and which one I did at home.



No comments:

Post a Comment