Saturday, June 14, 2014

Plein-Air Painting and Sketches

Yesterday in Forest Hills Gardens I noticed a uniquely beautiful mansion, which, according to some residents in the area, has been used three times as a setting for movies. It has some delicate and interesting features that indicate the architect's thoughtfulness in designing. It was built with a kind of yellow stone with a circular section, possibly for the staircase. It also has a waffle-cone-like dome on its top. The roof , unlike most neighbors, uses a kind of tiles like fish scales in different color. Anyway, I was fascinated by the building and decided to paint it this morning.

When I started to compose the painting, I realized I made a mistake by using too small a canvas paper. By proportion, I was unable to express all the interesting features, so I simply did the painting as an experiment.


In the afternoon I went to Queens Library for a Carnegie Hall Neighborhood Concert. the band's name was Matuto. They played Brazilian folk music. They called themselves the Brazilian Bluegrass. One of the songs they played was titled Horse Eat Corn, the melody of which reminded me of Turkeys in the Hay. The music was beautiful. I bought one of their CDs. I made three sketches of the front row performers. Honestly, I like my subway sketches better. As I always say, if I have too much time on hand, I am in trouble.

Rob Curto

Clay Ross

Mazz Swift

On my way to and back from the library, I also made some sketches

A South Asian Woman. (Not sure if she is Indian or Pakistan)

Eating on Subway

An Old Passenger

No comments:

Post a Comment