Wednesday, June 18, 2014

En Plein Air: The Flower Vendor on Street Corner (Oil 12 x 9)

Today it was the hottest day so far in Nw York this year. The highest was 87 degrees. My friends in Florida would be happy to have this temperature for summer. That is why when some nice people stopped to ask me whether I felt hot standing in the sun, I always responded with a smile, "I am from Florida. And it isn't bad at all compared with the hottest days there." In spite of that, it was extremely windy. I set up at the other corner of Ascan St. When the wind blew around the corner, I had to hold even the small porchade easel to prevent it from being blown off the ground. What made me feel embarrassed was that the wind somehow unrolled the paper towel from the portable rack and the paper stream flew and flapped in the wind like an invisible person doing ribbon dance. Eventually it broke in the air and wrapped itself around the tree trunk ten yards behind me. Warm-hearted people helped go and collect the paper towels and gave them back to me. I had to thrust the paper into my backpack. The wind also blew brushes off my portable tool box attached to the tripod. Fortunately they didn't dirty my clothes this time.



No comments:

Post a Comment