Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Plein Air Portrait of Tai Chi Master Zhang Haoshen and Sketches of Loco

Two days ago when I walked by the street park on Queens Blvd., Tai Chi Master Zhang Haoshen asked me if I could make a portrait for him, so today I took my kit with me and went to the park again. After he was finished with his Tai Chi class, Zhang sat for me for two hours. I knew I was pressed for time because we didn't start till after 10 AM. Fortunately, I was done by noon.

Oil 20 x 16

It happened that Loco, a regular Armenian Greek park goer whom I painted an oil sketch last time, was sitting nearby. While I was waiting for Master Zhang, I did two sketches of Loco who was fumbling with books or CDs from the bag he always carried with him anywhere he went. 

Sometimes, I would like to do in drawing like German artist Adolph Menzel did by including a few similar postures of the same figure in the same page. That gives you the freedom to restart a new pose if the subject suddenly moved around.

During the time I was painting Master Zhang, Loco came over to chat with me. he said he wanted to give me a book on an artist. After that he suggested to me, "Hey, we can go to the Station together to make some money. How's that?" I simply smiled to him without saying anything, knowing the Spanish meaning of his name.






No comments:

Post a Comment