Wednesday, June 11, 2014

En Plein Air: Stone Steps to the Terrace (Oil, 9 x 12)

When I was walking on Greenway Road in Forest Hills Gardens yesterday on my way to have a hair-cut, I noticed the century-old oaks and sycamores on road sides had so thick a foliage that they made shaded road very dark. Also, the shaded and lighted areas made such a striking contrast that invited me to express it with my paint. However, it turned cloudy today. Even though the scene was not so strong in terms of tonal contrast, I tried to paint it anyway. I may paint it again in a sun-shiny day to see the difference. The small tree in the foreground happened to be neither oak or sycamore. I don't know what kind of tree it is, sort of like a birch but not exactly. I included it in the painting in order to enrich a little and also to break the rigid straight line of the walk.


1 comment: