Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Oil Sketch: New York Artists Painting Plein Air (Oil 12 x 9)


I meant to paint a New York street scene this morning with robust restaurant business and customers sitting on the sidewalk. That was what I remembered of Greenwich Village, New York. In my mind preoccupied by the memories of streets in Florida cities, there were always retired loafers like myself sitting on the sidewalk anytime of the day. Unfortunately, the streets in Greenwich Village were so empty that all the restaurants still had their chairs upside down on the tables. After I got off the subway, I kept walking in the street looking for the right scene to paint. I told myself that it was OK if I was to paint something else like pedestrians against the dark shaded background of the street the way Kim English did, but there was not a soul in the street. Before I knew it, I arrived at Hudson River Park.

I ran into an artist named Bob whose group planned to do plein air painting there in the Park. Bob introduced me to other members of the group. There I met Linda, Diane, Oldyna and some other artists. They were there to paint landscape. I felt the skyline of New Jersey's buildings across the Hudson or Lower Manhattan was too far. I tried to find something near in the Park to paint. I wanted to paint a fisherman who told me he would stay for a while to fish. So, I set up in preparation for painting him. Before I was done with my setup and started to paint him, the fisherman had caught an eel and a fish and decided to call it a day. In such a situation, I turned around to paint my fellow artists. Three of them were sitting on a concrete block which held the steel poles of a huge canvas awning like a tent by the water. I don't know the official term for it. It was a kind awning for open-air concert musicians. Also, on my way to and back from the Park, I did some drawing sketches on subway. Hope you like them.






No comments:

Post a Comment