Monday, July 28, 2014

Plein Air Oil Sketch: Calm Water (10 x 12)

In the past few days, I've been cleaning the house inside out. While being away from home for two months, I didn't expect strangers in my house. There are frogs living and dead in there. Obviously they sneaked in through the bathroom sink. The toilet has become their swimming pool till the water dried out. I noticed their dirty footprints on the ring. Outside the house bushes needed to be trimmed badly and the shaded side of the house had weeds. I almost worked my butt off. Finally I got ready to go plein air painting. I went to Tuckhoe Road which was not far from my home. Before I wanted to take my kit out of the trunk,  I saw a loose big dog wandering along the road. Remembering I was bitten by a lady's dog in New York over Christmas, I dismissed the idea and continued to drive to my friend Woody's boatyard. I saw a renovated sailing boat docked there with the name of Alva Island. I smiled to myself in appreciation. It is a really appropriate name for the family who live on an island. Two months ago I painted Woody fixing the boat. I believe it is still in my blog's "Painting Gallery".

I did the sketch not even for two hours. I started at 9:40 AM and finished it at 11:30 AM. In spite of the title of Calm Water, the painting process was not calm at all. Twice it showered. Fortunately I had my umbrella over the easel, so I hopped in my car till it cleared up and picked up the painting again. Overall, it went smoothly.


No comments:

Post a Comment