Monday, July 14, 2014

En Plein Air: A New Day (Oil 12 x 9)

As you may tell, it is the gateway of an old townhouse building, a very stylishly beautiful design. The location is in the Forest Hills Gardens, Queens. When I arrived there, the sun had just shed light on the top part of it. The place was heavily shaded by trees which were more than 200 years old. Shortly after I blocked in blue color of the shaded area, the sun hid behind the clouds. For the rest of the two hours, I was painting out of the effect. I needed will power to remind myself constantly that I shouldn't be misguided by my eyes which had adapted to the overcast weather situation now and the value/color relationships were not what I saw in the first place. I tried hard the recall the relationships when I was outlining. It is a good practice to control my own eyes.


2 comments: