Monday, July 7, 2014

Sketches on Subway

My wife and I went to the City Library this morning. I made a few sketches on F train. The following are three of them. We got off the train at Bryant Park. When we were approaching Fifth Ave., a guy on the sidewalk suddenly yelled to me, "Hey, nice pictures!" "Thanks,"I responded, realizing he was the young man who leaned over me on the subway, watching me doing the sketches. My wife said, "He scared me with the yelling." I said he was on the same subway with us and must have got off the subway from the Fifth Ave. Exit. As a matter of fact, I am used to the kind of unexpected friendly compliments.

Whenever I am sketching, I try to do it in private on subway, at least avoid drawing attention to myself. However, it is inevitable that people notice what I am doing. Maybe it piques people's curiosity because they finally find something to break the monotony and tediousness of subway ride if they don't play with their cellphone or have something to read. They like to compliment me or say something they feel related to drawing. often briefly in a few words. Today, an old lady said she believed I should go to the Central Park and make some money on my drawing. I always appreciate people's friendly advice no matter what. And I am learning to enjoy the kind of attention. It could be the most beautiful moment in an old grumpy man's life like mine if people give their attention to me instead of to young beautiful and sexy girls on the subway.







No comments:

Post a Comment