Monday, November 11, 2013

En Plein Air: Meloy Hay Co., Lehigh Acres, FL (Acrylic 12 x 16)


Last time when I was at Meloy Hay Co. to paint their house and farm machinery, it was in the morning and the sun was right behind the barn facing me and glaring in eyes. That is why I went there in the afternoon today. Before I went out to paint, I put on my canvas panel one more layer of gesso as underpainting with some sand in it. What a coincidence. I read Joseph McGurl's talk about his plein air painting last night, he did the same thing except for the sand. He use acrylic underpainting for oil. It was very effective, When you add paint on top of each other, you won't feel it slick or too soupy. I will make it my routine preparation no matter whether it is for acrylic or oil.


No comments:

Post a Comment