Wednesday, November 13, 2013

En Plein Air: Kathy of Ft. Myers Beach and Walking to the Sea


 
 
 
This morning I went with FMBAA plein air group to paint at Port Sanibel Marina behind the Lighthouse Restaurant. I thought I found a vintage spot on the end of a boat dock with a yacht behind me. Unfortunately, right after I blocked in color, it got windier and I had to paint with one hand holding my easel. I even reclined my board further down to resist the pushing wind more effectively. About an hour after I began, I realized I needed a tube color from the paint box. So I had to release my hand on the easel in order to open the box. Suddenly, a gust of strong wind blew my palette up in the air and then dropped into the water by the yacht. I thought I was going to lose the palette when a guy from a boat nearby came with a long-handled fish net. He got back my palette with the net, fortunately. However, I could not stay there to paint since the wind kept blowing. One of my fellow artists said with a smile that I had really become a "water" colorist. There was only an hour and a half left. I took my stuff and went back to the lawn. Kathy was painting there in a chair. I quickly set up and made this sketch.
 
The second painting was the one I did last Friday on Ft. Myers Beach during the Quick Drawing. It was a pavilion imitating Polynesian style near the Times Square.



No comments:

Post a Comment