Tuesday, December 3, 2013

En Plein Air: Early Winter Morning at Forest Park, Queens, NY

 
 
This morning I put my painting kit on a shopping cart and walked pulling it to the Forest Park. I like the park because everything is in its natural state but nature seems ridiculously so close to the hustle and bustle of the metropolitan city of New York, only a few steps away from its sidewalk. The park is huge. The part I painted is called Overlook, which is literally raised way higher above the street. The villa-like mansion and the lawn in background of the painting are actually across from the street named Park Lane. Since Overlook is right on the hilltop, from where I stood, you don't see the street and its traffic. It took me two hours to do the painting. I got there around 8:30 AM, not long after the daybreak in New York. Before I began, I estimated what would look different when the sun was higher up in the sky, especially the golden brown fallen oak leaves, and I prepared myself to paint into the effect, which was unusual with me. Most of the times I did the opposite, so I am glad I had that experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment