Wednesday, December 11, 2013

En Plein Air: After Snow (The Overlook Area of Forest Park, Oil 6 x 12)


Yesterday morning, after breakfast, remembering the weather forecast said it would not snow till noon, I hurried out of the building with my painting kit, not bothering to look out f the window. As I opened the door,  icy wind rushed in and I immediately felt snowflakes melting on my face and eye glasses. Only then did I realize that the snow came earlier than the weatherman had estimated. I had to back in and closed the door. I was excited and went home to put away the painting kit. I took an umbrella and charged into the snow. I walked in snow for about an hour. The world suddenly turned into a black-white picture except for the colors of people's umbrellas and their overcoats. Quite a few people were taking pictures in the park. I was looking around  to see if I could find a place where I was able to paint and could also be sheltered from the snow. I didn't have the luck but enjoyed the walk in snow.

This morning, snow began to melt fast as the sun rose. Everything looked different and the shadows were so blue with the sunlight reflected from snow. I didn't want to miss what I saw so I made this painting. My original painting is not as yellow as it looks here. I regret I didn't take the picture of the painting in daylight instead of the light from my lamp. Maybe I am going to redo it tomorrow.

 
 
See the big difference. The second picture was taken in daylight.


No comments:

Post a Comment