Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Figure Study and Sketches


Katie
Acrylic on canvas, 16 x 20

Today, we had our second session of live figure painting in class. Katie was a professional model from New York. We had her in our drawing class last semester. I believe I have Impressionists' temperament in terms of the way I respond to the outside world. That is, I am interested in doing only alla prima. I have posted here both stages of the painting. The first one is the product of the first session. The second one is the painting after the second session. I felt I could respond aesthetically to the subject only in the first contact when my sensation is still fresh. That is why I always say if I drag a painting longer than I should, I am in trouble. I remember I felt good after the first session. However, when the work was completed at the end of today's session, I didn't feel the same way. I think I need to work on it.

Toward the end of the class, Carl reminded everyone of the reception of students' show at 5 PM in the afternoon. There are three hours in between. I didn't want to go back home and then come to campus again. That way I would have wasted too much time and gas to drive back and forth, so I decided to go to Edison Mall to sketch and then went to the reception. Some of the sketches I did have been posted below. Together, I also posted one of my classmates Jon. I did the sketch while Carl was critiquing students' works.

A Bored Husband

A Tired Shopper

Eating to the Heart's Content

Classmate Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment