Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Painting: Walking in the Snow (Central Park, NYC)

Oil on Panel 8 x 10

I usually do not paint from photos unless there is a purpose. I think that is one of the time. I believe for some techniques, you have to practice well before you can go out to paint. That is the homework an artist has to do. When you are outdoors facing reality, if you rely on luck, chances are you will disappoint yourself. Sometimes, I did do something good by accident. I asked myself, "Can I do it again whenever I feel the need?" It was the time today that I needed to do my home work. Recently I felt I wanted to have a solid master of how to add another layer of color in a clear-cut way. Even though Marc Dalessio talked about the second layer should be thinner in order for it to take hold, I did suspect that it also had something to do with the quality and the shape of the brush. For instance, the difference between flat, flat and other types of brushes and difference between bristle and nylon brushes. I also felt the craving to try different shades of grey. Besides, I was also curious about how to control the color scheme of the whole picture and wanted to learn how to make the simple profound like Peter Fiore. And the picture Walking in the Snow provided the opportunity for me to search for answers to those questions. I did learn something and would feel more confident when coming across such situations in reality.

































































































































add

No comments:

Post a Comment