Monday, January 14, 2013

Painting: Juction Blvd Station, Queens, NY

Junction Blvd. Station, Queens, NY
Oil on Panel 8 x 10

It was a warm but cloudy day. The highest temperature today reached the mid-50s. I had almost recovered from the flu so I decided to paint outdoors. Originally, I planned to paint the roofs of the residents' houses in Queens' lower-income area, remembering the children book Tar Beach illustrated by artist Faith Ringgold. However, when I finally climbed onto the subway platform ( Train 7 ran on overhead tracks), the views were not very ideal. On both sides of the Junction Blvd station nearby there were not many residential houses, at least not quite like the typical tar-roofed houses. I decided to paint the station. Well, I am not very satisfied with the painting. I think probably because I was not bold enough to block in color chunks. Moreover, there might be too many things to consider in handling the perspective. Anyway, I didn't do it as smoothly as I wished. Just a study. 

1 comment: