Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Old Barn


Originally I planned to go to La Belle this morning to paint its old courthouse which was what the locals called Spanish Revival. I drove by it a couple of years ago on my way to Orlando. Its architectural style was pretty impressive. At that time I only felt it had a whiff of Mediterranean flavor with its square clock tower but didn't know it was Spanish style. When I hit SR 80 (Palm Beach Blvd.), I noticed the old barn, which was plain but, together with the van, trailer, organge grove, etc., they made a harmonic variety of objects giving me a peaceful feeling in spite of the noise on the road. I had already passed the spot, so I made a U-turn, left my car on the road shoulder, and started to paint the barn. Before long, one of the owners of the house came out to see me paint. Mrs. Howard was very friendly and told me the story behind the barn. It was obviously not utilized these days, but long ago, her grandfather used the barn and the red shack next to it for chicken business.

For the 8 x11 piece, I spent only an hour and a half in addition to setup and cleaning toward the end of painting. As you may tell, I used the palette knives more often than usual and I found the use very effective. Hope you like it.


No comments:

Post a Comment