Saturday, January 31, 2015

Plein Air Sketch: Sun-Bathing Michigander (Oil, 12 x 21)

I had accomplished quite a lot by noon. In the morning I made myself a stack of blank canvased panels which should last me for a while. By the time I got the laundry done in the afternoon, it had passed 2 PM. Should I go out to paint? I asked myself. Seeing it was such a sun-shiny day with temperature around 73 degrees, I decided to go. As I drove passing the small Matheny Park, to my surprise, I saw a guy stripped to the waist, in shorts, sun bathing on a beach chair by the pond, his minivan's door wide open and music playing from the car radio. He looked very relaxed with his wrap-around sun glasses on. It came to my mind that the sun bather could make a perfect picture.

"Why don't I paint him?" thought I. Immediately I made a U-turn with my car and pulled into the park. As I walked toward him, I asked, "Excuse me, sir, but how long are you going to stay here?" "15 minutes, maybe a half hour at most. Why?" I said, "If you give me an hour, I'd like to paint you." He laughed and agreed, "OK. I thought you needed my space to have a party or something." So I quickly got my kit from the trunk and set up. I also set my timer for exactly an hour and started painting him right away.

The guy was very friendly. His name was Jeff and he came from Michigan.


No comments:

Post a Comment