Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Ink Wash: Arab Lady Working in the Park and Sunshine in the Woods

It was a beautiful sunshiny day today. I went to Forest Park. At the playground there were two Arab ladies with children playing. While one of them took care of the kids at the swing set, the other one was working with great concentration, sitting on the park bench. The image was against the sun, so from my angle, the view was like a woodcut, totally in black and white. Mainly I could only see the contour of the image, but it was very picturesque. After I made the sketch in pen, I was not satisfied with the image. Therefore,  I added ink wash when I got home. The second one was an ink wash from a photo I made at the park. The purpose was to practice needle scratch on paper, a technique I learned half a century ago from a show of English watercolor paintings. It was fun to do it except for the bad quality of the paper. At places I even scratched through the paper. I did it on a sketch book paper regretfully. I am sure if I had used heavy water color paper, the effect would be much better.





No comments:

Post a Comment