Saturday, March 8, 2014

En Plein Air: A Burnt Down Farmhouse in Alva FL.

This morning I planned to go to Owl Creek Boat Works to paint workers fixing boats in the sun since it was such a nice sun-shiny day with comfortable temperature that I had to have a jacket on early in the morning -- pretty unusual in Florida. As I was driving westward on Highway 78 (N. River Rd.), I saw a burnt-down small farmhouse. Suddenly I realized that was the house I painted four years ago, impressed by the reddish rusty roof (see the second one I posted below). I felt so sad about it being burnt down and then I felt the urge to paint it. So I made a U-turn and stopped my car on its weeds overgrown drive. Actually what still stood of the place was  just the shack originally behind the house and the house  fireplace. The first painting reminded me of a closed-in porch in front of the house. Now everything was gone with the fire.It was a heart-breaking scene to see. I saw children's clothes and bags of play sand here and there. The tyre swing still hung from the tree and swung slightly in the wind. Only a few ravens were scavenging in the rubble. They took off upon seeing me coming out of the car. I found a spot by the wire fence next to an orange grove. While I was setting up, the corrugated roofing metal sheets were cracking in the morning breeze, the cows on the other side of the house mooing in distance, and flies buzzing around my head. All that added to the sorrowful sensation.

Shortly after I began to paint, I wasn't lonesome anymore. Curiosity drove people to stop by in order to find out what this crazy person was doing at the site of a burnt-down farmhouse. First a Mexican amigo, who worked for the orange farmer next door, stopped his truck with a full load of oranges and came off the highway to me. He bombarded me with questions and wanted me to paint his portrait. I gave him my card but told him not to call me till three weeks later for I would be out of town. He stayed so long till his boss showed up. Then came a photographer living nearby. He told me the house might have been built in the 30's last century. Finally a young couple stopped their SUV on the road shoulder and came out to see me. They happened to be the owners of the house. I was eager to know exactly what happened to their house. They told me it was burnt down by electric fire. Fortunately no one got hurt. The guy asked me for permission to take picture of my painting and told me he was an artist, too, a tattoo artist. Then I noticed his artworks all over his arms. By then, I didn't feel moody any more. 

Oil 10 x 14

Acrylic 7 x 9

No comments:

Post a Comment