Friday, March 6, 2015

Alla Prima Oil Sketch: Ethel (12 x 10)

I went this morning to get oil change for my car. By the time it was done, it was already 9:30 AM. Since already mid-morning, I decided to go to the Veteran Park to paint. As I was entering the parking lot, I saw two ladies sitting in beach chairs on the roadside with some display racks and folded tables in front of them. As soon as I parked my car, I walked over. They were two ladies from the Jehovah's Witness Church who had set up a booth with religious books, posters, fliers and other types of literature on display. Obviously they were there to preach or convert people for the church. I asked one of them if she minded if I painted her. She said no. So I set up and began to paint. Later, a guy named George joined us. He was also from the church. To my surprise, he suddenly began to speak fluent Chinese to me. I never expected anyone in the small town of Florida to speak Chinese to me. I didn't even know how to respond in the beginning. The name of the lady who nicely agreed to pose for me was Ethel. The painting took a little more than an hour.  By the time I got home, it was only 11.45 AM.


No comments:

Post a Comment