Thursday, December 4, 2014

Eh Plein Air: The Felders' Sweet Home (Oil, 9 x 12)

After a depressing rainy day yesterday, I was so glad to see the sun shine. Shortly after I entered the Forest Hills Gardens neighborhood this afternoon, a house caught my eyes. It was not a huge mansion. However, from architectural perspective, it was a beautiful cozy house with a rich variety of vertical planes. There are two things that made the view unusually attractive. First, the sunlight shining through the cracks of the tall trees made it stand out against a dark background. Secondly, the house sat on a land which sloped deeply down to a dark blue clearing. Together with the house, it formed a dream-like scenery. Therefore, I immediately set up and made this painting. During painting, I happened to meet with one of the house owners who was a very friendly gentleman.


No comments:

Post a Comment