Sunday, April 6, 2014

En Plein Air: A Swaying Small Boat (Oil, 12 x 12)


After reading the whole morning, I felt an urge to paint. So right after lunch, I drove to Owl Creek Boatyard, which I haven't painted for quite some time. I met and had a chat with a gentleman named Ted, who lived in Colorado but docked his yacht in Alva, FL. He planned to sail his boat through Panama Canal and eventually dock it in Seattle. Wow, what an exciting voyage it must be! I wish I could do that, too.

Later, I walked around the place and decided to paint a small boat tied to the cabin on water. Don't mistake it for Ted's yacht. If you are able to sail this small boat to Seattle, you are creating a world record, I think. The boat swayed back and forward in breeze like a dog on leash. The view reminded me of a line from a famous Chinese poem written in Tang Dynasty. I painted the cabin before. The whole thing took an hour and a half. Like the one I did yesterday, I tried to push myself to paint fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment